- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups peppermint or vanilla ice cream, softened if necessary
- Confectioners' sugar
- Red Hots
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Sift flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together twice.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water, oil and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture (batter will be thick).
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a tea towel dusted with remaining cocoa. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Freeze, covered, at least 2 hours or until firm; trim ends.
- Arrange holly leaf cardboard cutouts on cake roll; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Carefully remove cutouts; top with Red Hots for berries. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate & Peppermint Ice Cream Roll in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p139
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate & Peppermint Ice Cream Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review