Years ago, I saved this festive recipe and made it only at Christmastime. But my grandkids loved the sweet combination of peanut butter, chocolate and cherries so much that now I mix up a batch anytime they ask or visit!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 24 to 26 maraschino cherries with stems
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a small bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Pat cherries dry with paper towel. Dust hands with additional confectioners' sugar. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoon full of peanut butter mixture; shape into a ball. (Peanut butter mixture may need to be refrigerated occasionally while rolling cherries.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Peanut Butter Balls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p29
Reviews for Cherry Peanut Butter Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review