- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 24 to 26 maraschino cherries with stems
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a small bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Pat cherries dry with paper towel. Dust hands with additional confectioners' sugar. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoon full of peanut butter mixture; shape into a ball. (Peanut butter mixture may need to be refrigerated occasionally while rolling cherries.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Peanut Butter Balls
"I HATE making these, but everyone loves them... so I do every year. I always have leftover peanut butter mixture, which I will roll in balls and dip on their own - perfect for those people, like myself, who don't like maraschino cherries. These dress up a Christmas dainty tray very nicely!"
"Yummy. Yummy. Yummy!!!"
"Finally made this recipe and must say, not only are they easy and fun and attractive, they are absolutely delicious. I didn't use a full TBSP of peanut butter mixture for each ball and they were still fully coated and yielded about 3 1/2 dozen. Everyone who tried them raved about them. Definitely will make them again SOON!!!"
"i made a bigger batch increasing all ingredients 4 times and made 100. using 8 cups of choc chips and 1 cup of shortening i had more melted choc left over. had stemless cherries so used toothpicks to dip balls into chocolate and covered up the toothpick hole with melted choc. great tasting and my family and friends just loved them this xmas"
"Scrumptious little morsels of goodness! These get a "WOW" on my list of favorites!"
"Yum! We were not sure if this combination was going to go together very well but we all loved them!"
"Using maraschio cherries WITHOUT the stems, I made the peanut butter balls the size of a large walnut (40 balls). I refrigerated overnight and the next morning, I used my candy dipper to dip the balls in the melted chocolate chips and shortening. After dipping, I had about 1/3 cup of chocolate remaining. I will make this recipe again as everyone enjoyed them. NOTE: These are VERY rich!"
"These were very easy to make...came off without a hitch. They also look very pretty on a plate. I only made a couple of alterations. I only had chunkey peanut butter so I used that. And I used Hersey's special dark chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet. Very good."
"these were absolutely delicious! my husband raved every time he had one. they also get better the longer they stay in the fridge. thanks for the recipe."
"What a great combination...I usually make choco covered cherries and peanut butter cups. Now this kills 2 birds with one stone! Thank you...This is a wonderful recipe"