Cherry Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over top. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Bars(49)
Sort By :
Great dessert. I used only 1 can of pie filling and baked the bars for 30 minutes in a jelly roll pan and it was perfect. The flavor of the dough was like a sugar cookie. Will definitely be making this again.
Thought the Cheery bars looked good but was more interested in the nutritional value for them, I didn't make them as didn't know the point value for weight watchers for my family's needs. Hopefully soon that infor will be available and I can make these for my family.
I had to bake at least 45 to 50 minutes to get some browning on the top, this DID NOT overbake them on the bottom. If I make again I will omit the almond flavoring in the icing.
I took them to work and the reviews were that they were great !
Loved these! Really easy to make. I was concerned when I started them that it was going to be too thin on the pan but they turned out great.
Cut sugar to 1 cup and sub with 1 cup of finely chopped pecans.