- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Bars
Sort By :
"Kind of gooey, but really good and super easy to make. My family loves 'em. I cut the recipe in 1/2. The full recipe makes a 'ginormous' amount. But, almost all of ours from the 1/2-recipe are eaten already. Also, made mine with only vanilla extract, as I'm allergic to the almond. Still came out very good."
"These were easy to make and very good. I did add slivered almonds to the top and that made it even better!!!"
"Great! Feeds a crowd! Wonderful flavor with hint of almond."
"I tried them for the first time for Easter. They went over very well and were easy to make. I used 1 can pie filling mixed with frozen cherries picked last year to make up the difference for second can. No extra sugar was needed and turned out great. I did add 1/2 tsp. baking powder to dough. Will be making again!"
"my Mom made these and we called them Valentine Squares. very good !!"