Chai Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 1-1/2 teaspoons spice mixture. Gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and remaining spice mixture until smooth. Add enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pipe frosting over cupcakes; sprinkle with cinnamon. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Chai Cupcakes
Sort By :
"This sounded so good but was so disappointing. The flavor just was not there and to add nuts and or, I don't see as helping so will not make again! I made the recipe as printed and did the cream cheese frosting."
"I was so amazed at how light and flavorful these are! The spices are just right. I also like allspice and add 1/2 t. of that spice. Great!"
"To cooker69, Chia seeds are not the same as Chai. The spices in the cupcakes are the same spices used to make Chai Tea. Tea is not one of the ingredients although maybe you could substitute some of the liquid with Chai Tea. These were very good. I love the combination of the cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves."
"where is the chia seeds or chia tea?"
"The taste was good, but I found I needed a fair bit more liquid. The 1st batch turned into scones. The 2nd batch turned out perfect after adding extra milk."