- 2 teaspoons plus 2/3 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream confectioners' sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press dough into prepared pan. Bake 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For caramel, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil gently for 4 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over prepared crust. Refrigerate 2 hours or until caramel is set.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut into 3-1/4x3/4-in. bars. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip bars in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined sheet; refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Cookie Candy
"I had the same problem with the cookie part crumbling away. Not may of these will make it to be part a gift for the neighbors, which keeps my family happy. I'm not sure if I will try these again or not. The taste combination is quite good, but I'm not sure how to resolve the problem with the crust."
"I made these last year for Christmas and they were a solid hit. They are a lot of work to prepare, but are very tasty and well appreciated."
"These are fantastic. I also had a problem with the crust crumbling.I am not sure but I am getting ready to make a second batch and make sure I really pound the crust and bake a few more minutes. Everyone who tasted them wants more!"
"I made these for my coworkers and they were gone in just a few short minutes. Everyone loved them!!!"