Broccoli Sausage Simmer Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, broccoli and onion over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add pasta; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Broccoli Sausage Simmer
Sort By :
Oh gosh! This is ssooo good. I have a hard time finding recipes to put my homegrown herbs in, to where you can actually taste them in a dish, but this one really does showcase the herbs beautifully. I left out the onion just on personal preference. One of my favorite recipes.
I just made this as an impromptu dish and it was great! Even with turkey kielbasa. The tomato juice thickened up nicely. The only thing I should've done was throw in the broccoli last - I used frozen broccoli that I defrosted to crisp tender. It held up ok, but I personally wanted the kielbasa and onions flavors to mingle first.
I made this for my family and it was a hit! Even my picky four year old was scaring it down. Thank You.
Easy to prepare, tastes good. My problem is that the onion gets too mushy and the dish is a little soupy. I'm sure there is an easy fix to that though. I love making this in the summer and my husband really loves the sausage in it.