"I created this meal-in-one dish when trying to use up a large head of broccoli," recalls Lisa Montgomery of Elmira, Ontario. "It's requested at least once a week in our home, which is handy for me since it's easy to prepare and we always have the ingredients."
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, broccoli and onion over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add pasta; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Sausage Simmer in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p35
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Broccoli Sausage Simmer
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review