Black Walnut Coconut Cake Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extract.
- Remove cake from pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in warm cake with a skewer; slowly pour syrup over cake. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Black Walnut Coconut Cake(5)
Sort By :
I have made this cake several times and it is perfect each time! I always get rave reviews! Thanks for sharing! :)
Excellent flavored cake
Absolutely fabulous special occasion cake
Since I didn't have any coconut extract, I substituted almond extract, and it was excellent! I'm sure the coconut extract would give the cake a lot more coconut flavor, and I'll buy some next time I make this cake. I'm happy to say my results looked just like the picture, and it was moist and delicious.
I tried printing recipe three times, and all times it only printed 1 page out of 2, why?