Our children look forward to helping me bake these cute cat cookies each year. They've become experts at making the faces with candy corn and Red-Hots. —Kathy Stock, Levasy, Missouri
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 wooden craft or Popsicle sticks
- 48 candy corn candies
- 24 red-hot candies
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Roll dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Insert a wooden stick into each cookie. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Pinch top of cookie to form ears. For whiskers, press a fork twice into each cookie. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove from the oven; immediately press on candy corn for eyes and red-hots for noses. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Black Cat Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p237
Reviews for Black Cat Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review