- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- Remove core from cabbage. Steam 12 large outer leaves until limp. Drain well.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg and seasonings; mix well. Put about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, starting at an unfolded edge, and roll up leaf completely to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Place rolls in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, water and lemon juice or vinegar; pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, spooning sauce over rolls occasionally during cooking. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
"Excellent recipe. Since I am a vegetarian, I modify it by using a meatless and soy-free substitute. In order for the cabbage to get nice and brown, I saute the rolls first.When they get slightly brown, I drain them on paper towel and thenput them in casserole with the sauce and place them in the oven at 350 for one hour."
"Perfect! We loved these. I tried a second time and my leaves kept tearing:(."
"Love cabbage rolls. The brown sugar and vinegar give the sauce a sweet and sour zip."
"Great recipe! easy to prepare. I added a teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning to the meat mixture. Baked at 350 degrees for a little over an hour."
"I made this same recipe in a crock pot but can't find the issue now and can't find the recipe on-line. Can you help?"
"My family thought these were wonderful!! I will definately be making them again"