We have been making this dish in my family since I was a little girl. Mother served it with corn bread fritters—I like to serve it with corn bread muffins.
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- Remove core from cabbage. Steam 12 large outer leaves until limp. Drain well.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg and seasonings; mix well. Put about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, starting at an unfolded edge, and roll up leaf completely to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Place rolls in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, water and lemon juice or vinegar; pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, spooning sauce over rolls occasionally during cooking. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p63
Reviews for Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review