- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups thinly sliced, peeled Granny Smith apples (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups thinly sliced, peeled Cortland apples (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup cinnamon-sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Press onto bottom and 1 in. up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Add egg and almond extract; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust.
- Place apples in a large bowl. Mix cinnamon-sugar and nutmeg; add to apples and toss to coat. Arrange over cream cheese mixture. Bake 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 400°. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove rim from pan. In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over torte; sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Apple Torte
"This is good. I agree with everyone who said 4 is too many apples. I used 3 small honey crisp and I had to layer them on. Also I would decrease the amount of cinnamon sugar. There was so much my apples are dark brown and look burnt (when they are not)."
"Absolutely delicious! The almond extract is the perfect flavoring for this dessert. I did cut back on the apples the second time I made it cause four was just too many to layer on top! I also added a sprinkle of clove to the apple slices to add a little more spice (plus I love cloves). The only thing I'd want is a thicker cream cheese layer because it's so good! Maybe one day I'll try increasing it by 50% and see how it turns out."
"This is a fabulous recipe and easy to make. I made 10 of these in one weekend for our various neighbors and they all wanted the recipe. I skipped the almonds and used 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I also used Gala and McIntosh apples. This is certainly a keeper!"
"Excellent recipe. We loved it and I will certainly make it again and again. Can't wait to make it for company. Deserves more than 5 stars!!!"
"I found this recipe to rate a 5* recipe! I DID leave out the almonds and the glaze, though!I used part Granny Smith and part Gala apples and I greased and floured my springform pan for easier removal. The rest of the ingredients I kept the same! Thank you, Margaret Wilson, for sharing your recipe with Taste of Home! This makes me think of a cheesecake and an apple dessert all in one! delowenstein"
"This involved quite a bit of work but it was delicious. Nice dessert for Oktoberfest."