Apricot-Glazed Cornish Hens Recipe
These savory hens are a tasty sized-right twist on the conventional bird. Filled with a well-seasoned stuffing, they make perfect individual servings, reveals Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington. "The hens smell so good while baking, folks can hardly wait to eat," she smiles.
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves, warmed
- 4 green onions (green part only), optional
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, optional
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender; remove from heat. Add the bread, mushrooms and seasonings. Toss with enough chicken broth just to moisten.
- Stuff hens. Tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a large shallow baking pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Brush with preserves. Bake, uncovered, 30-45 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear, basting every 10-15 minutes.
- If using green onions, first soften them in boiling water or the microwave for a few seconds, then tie over the string used to tie the drumsticks together. Garnish platter with rosemary if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apricot-Glazed Cornish Hens in Country Woman November/December 1997, p9
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Apricot-Glazed Cornish Hens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2014
I loved this recipe. Even the boyfriend, who does not like Mushrooms, really enjoyed it!
More Recipe Collections
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Cornish Hen Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >