Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash ground cloves, optional
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in milk, vanilla and, if desired, cloves. Gradually beat in cocoa and enough confectioners’ sugar to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over top of cake. If desired, sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 17, 2016
This is a wonderful pumpkin recipe. I made cupcakes instead of the 9x13 cake. More useful for my young grandchildren. Yield was 18 cupcakes per recipe. Do not overbake. I followed the recipe and only eliminated the cloves spice and substituted vegetable oil instead of the canola. I put in just over a cup of chocolate chips into the batter and none on the top of the cupcake. i did not make the icing recipe. This recipe will probably freeze beautifully. Already have a dozen cupcakes in the freezer. Made this recipe twice. This will become a favorite fall season pumpkin dessert.