Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash ground cloves, optional
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in milk, vanilla and, if desired, cloves. Gradually beat in cocoa and enough confectioners’ sugar to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over top of cake. If desired, sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 17, 2016
This is a wonderful pumpkin recipe. I made cupcakes instead of the 9x13 cake. More useful for my young grandchildren. Yield was 18 cupcakes per recipe. Do not overbake. I followed the recipe and only eliminated the cloves spice and substituted vegetable oil instead of the canola. I put in just over a cup of chocolate chips into the batter and none on the top of the cupcake. i did not make the icing recipe. This recipe will probably freeze beautifully. Already have a dozen cupcakes in the freezer. Made this recipe twice. This will become a favorite fall season pumpkin dessert.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.