Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and lemon zest. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with lemon juice and yogurt.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter.
- For streusel, combine the flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2012
The recipe took too long and they came out tough. I used a stand mixer. Don't know if that made a difference.
Mar 20, 2011
Good, but not I wouldn't make it again. Love baked goods, but not a baker. Took a little more effort than I prefer. (Difficulty and "would you make it again" are definitely fair considerations, in my opinion.)
Mar 20, 2011
These are great! I don't think it was fair to rate this recipe based on the fact that took more work than what was expected. It is not a quick fix but hey!!!! the results are worth effort.
Mar 22, 2009
This recipe was a little bit more involved than I realized. The muffins were good, but the recipe was a little bit of work.