The story goes that when Austrian Kaiser Franz Josef's chef noticed that he always broke his pancake into small pieces before eating it, he began serving it that way. —Erika and Peter Durlacher, Whistler, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Stewed plums or other fruit
- Mix flour and milk to a thick paste. Add salt. Stir in egg yolks and unsalted butter. Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until stiff and fold into batter.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a 12-in. round cast-iron skillet or 11x7-in. glass baking dish. Pour in batter. Scatter raisins over top. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Using two forks, tear pancake into pieces and allow to steam for a moment. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with plums or other fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 379 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Kaiserschmarren in Country June/July 1991