Grandma’s Rosemary Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup canola oil
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Place the flour, sugar, 2 teaspoons rosemary and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add the warm milk, egg and yeast mixture; cover and pulse 10 times or until almost blended.
- While processing, gradually add oil just until dough pulls away from sides and begins to form a ball. Process 2 minutes longer to knead dough (dough will be very soft).
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 12 balls. Roll each into a 15-in. rope. Starting at one end, loosely wrap dough around itself to form a coil. Tuck end under; pinch to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and milk; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 194 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 18, 2018
Oh, when I saw these pictured, I immediately thought of my own "Baba's" rolls! She came to the U.S. from Czechoslovakia, and she used this same recipe. The smell in her kitchen was heaven! Thanks for such a wonderful memory - and for the written recipe (she never wrote hers down)!
Nov 20, 2016
No flavor except yeast. Hubby and I didn't care for them. Hubby put coarse salt on them to eat with his cheese as he couldn't find any pretzels at the store last visit. Won't make them again.
Feb 18, 2015
Amazing! Great taste and texture! The only thing I did different was sprinkle with a little coarse salt in addition to the rosemary after the egg wash.
Nov 8, 2014
I love making fresh rolls and I love cooking with rosemary. Using it in these rolls added great flavor.
Feb 17, 2013
I would make this recipe again AND I forwarded the recipe to my fellow bread makers! I did have to use dried rosemary but I just used a little less. I also sprinkled sea salt on top of the rolls with the rosemary after the egg wash. Excellent! Even the kids loved them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.