Gingerbread Cake Mix
I make this mixture so I can bake moist, nicely spiced gingerbread in no time. It's especially handy during the hectic holiday season. Other bakers I know love to get this as a gift. —Ruth Seitz, Columbus Junction, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes9 servings per batch
- 6-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in 5 airtight pint containers in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups total).
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly beat egg, water and molasses. Add one jar (2 cups) cake mix; beat until well blended. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's Note: Contents of cake mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into bowl or measuring cup.