Gingerbread Cake Mix
I make this mixture so I can bake moist, nicely spiced gingerbread in no time. It's especially handy during the hectic holiday season. Other bakers I know love to get this as a gift. —Ruth Seitz, Columbus Junction, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes9 servings per batch
- 6-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in 5 airtight pint containers in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups total).
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly beat egg, water and molasses. Add one jar (2 cups) cake mix; beat until well blended. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's Note: Contents of cake mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into bowl or measuring cup.
Editor's NoteContents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 218 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cake Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 2000