VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons rum extract or vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.4 ounces) dulce de leche
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until just set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread dulce de leche on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Press edges into coconut. Refrigerate in airtight containers. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Alfajores in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014