VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 11 to 11-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Melted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a very soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 75 minutes.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 4- minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine pie filling and sugar. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into filling. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and egg yolk until smooth. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball; fill with 2 rounded teaspoons of filling. Make a small indentation in center of filling; add 1 teaspoon topping. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush melted butter over rolls. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Kolaches in Taste of Home April/May 2004, p51
Reviews forCherry Kolaches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2010
"TASTE LIKE A CHERRY DANISH!"