My Godson and I made this cake after fun day at the science museum. We've made it several times now, and we get a kick out of experimenting with the frosting colors. —Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1-1/3 cups vanilla frosting
- Blue, green or purple paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 2-qt. ovenproof bowl. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs and mayonnaise; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared bowl.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in bowl 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Place on a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Pipe over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 282 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Ladybug Cake in Halloween Bookazine 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.