Air-Fryer Wasabi Crab Cakes
With wasabi in both the crab cakes and the dipping sauce, this festive appetizer brings its own heat to the holiday party. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes2 dozen (1/2 cup sauce)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared wasabi
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1-1/2 cups lump crabmeat, drained
- Cooking spray
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared wasabi
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Preheat air fryer to 375°. Spritz fryer basket with cooking spray. Combine first 7 ingredients; add 1/3 cup bread crumbs. Gently fold in crab.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of crab mixture into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 3/4-in.-thick patties. Working in batches as needed, place crab cakes in a single layer in basket. Spritz crab cakes with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 8-12 minutes, carefully turning halfway through cooking and spritzing with additional cooking spray. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining crab cakes.
- Meanwhile, place sauce ingredients in food processor; pulse 2 or 3 times to blend or until desired consistency is reached. Serve crab cakes immediately with dipping sauce.
Test Kitchen tip