Is KitchenAid the Best Stand Mixer? We Tested It to Find Out.
Bakers rely on a powerful stand mixer to make everything from bread to Bundts, cakes to cookies. Find out which brand has earned the title of "best stand mixer."
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
Claire Krieger/Taste of Home
But do you know if your stand mixer is truly the best option for stirring up all those family favorites? That’s where Taste of Home‘s Test Kitchen comes in. Our culinary team just had to know which stand mixer would do the best job of testing out the recipes sent in by our readers (you should submit one!).
How We Found the Best Stand Mixer
So to find our the very best in stand mixers, our culinary team collected the biggest names in mixers and used them in our Test Kitchen for several months. But to really get a feel for these mixers’ performance, our cooks put them head to head in a series of challenges:
- Whipping: How long did it take to whip two egg whites into stiff peaks? Did the whisk attachments reach the bottom of the bowl?
- Creaming: How well could the paddle attachment cream a cup of sugar with a half cup of butter? Did the bowl need to be scraped down to incorporate the ingredients?
- Blending: How long did it take to blend drops of yellow and blue dye to make green (using a base of cream cheese)?
- Price: Is the product affordable? Was the performance reflected in the price?
Our Test Kitchen-Preferred Stand Mixers
After lots and lots of mixing, whipping and stirring, our Test Kitchen found a few options that stood out among the rest. Find out which is best for you.
The Best for Serious Bakers: KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer
KitchenAid’s Artisan Stand Mixer—the most popular KitchenAid model—earned its spot in our top rankings. It made quick work of each task in our trial. Egg whites whipped into stiff peaks in about 90 seconds. The butter and sugar also creamed together quickly and evenly—we only scraped down the bowl once. As for blending together the food coloring, the mixer also made swift work of that task. In 35 seconds, the cream cheese was perfectly green.
Though the advantages of KitchenAid go beyond these simple tests. The 325-watt motor is powerful enough to stir up big batches of cookie dough and even knead bread dough. It has the durability to tackle so many kitchen tasks. Oh—and did we mention you can get KitchenAid stand mixers in dozens of colors, including Kyoto Glow, 2020’s color of the year. You can get a mixer to match any kitchen.
Though this mixer performs expertly, it does come with a hefty price tag—about $380. The KitchenAid Artisan is an investment, but first-time buyers can take comfort knowing that every KitchenAid stand mixer comes with a lifetime warranty (psst: these brands offer excellent warranties, too!).
- Attachments: Dough hook, whisk and beater, plus many other additional attachments available including a sifter
- Speeds: 10 speeds
- Bowl size: 5 quarts
- Price: $380
Features We Loved
- Powerful motor: The KitchenAid Artisan ($380) is a powerful small appliance. It easily stirs up even the stiffest of cookie doughs and kneads homemade breads like it’s whipping air. When you’re a serious baker, you need a machine that can handle any recipe you toss its way.
- The colors: We know that the hue of your appliance doesn’t have anything to do with its performance, but isn’t having a mixer that matches your kitchen or your personality infinitely more fun? We love 2018’s KitchenAid color of the year, but if that tropical melon shade isn’t for you, KitchenAid offers more than 40 colors to suit any style.
Best for Large Batches: Cuisinart Precision Master 5.5-Quart Stand Mixer
If you tend to bake in large batches, you want a mixer with a large capacity like the Cuisinart Precision Master 5.5-Quart Stand Mixer. This stand mixer has a 5.5-quart bowl and our Test Kitchen found that it performed best when stirring up big batches of cookies and large quantities of batter.
The Test Kitchen also liked the mixer’s start-up feature that slowly ramps up to your desired speed, which helps keep the ingredients from splashing out of the bowl. It’s quiet, mixes evenly and has a useful tilt feature that locks in place both up and down.
- Attachments: Dough hook, whisk and flat beater
- Speeds: 12 speeds
- Bowl size: 5.5 quarts
- Price: $200
Best Budget Mixer: Hamilton Beach Stand Mixer
Just starting to bake? Invest in a great budget mixer like this one from Hamilton Beach. This mixer is lightweight with suction cups that help hold it snugly on the counter. Two side handles on the mixing bowl and a handle at the top make it easy to keep your grip on what you’re making. The whisk rotation was also very fast (second only to KitchenAid) meaning you can whip cream and egg whites in a jiffy.
- Attachments: Dough hook, whisk and flat beater
- Speeds: 7 speeds
- Bowl size: 4 quarts
- Price: $100
What to Make with Your Stand Mixer
When you have a pretty KitchenAid on your countertop, chances are you’ll be reaching for it all the time. The paddle attachment makes quick work of all kinds of cookie doughs while the whisk can help you make whipped cream and meringue in a hurry. In fact, use it to beat up egg whites in no time—less than 90 seconds!
That’s the foundation of this old-fashioned divinity recipe straight from Grandma’s kitchen. The mixer whisks up the egg whites, then provides the candy with its light, airy texture. This treat is truly heaven, just like these other recipes!
How to Take Care of Your Stand Mixer
To keep your mixer whipping up divinity and so many other fabulous bakes, you’ll have to give it a bit of care. The attachments are best washed by hand, though the bowl is dishwasher-safe. Occasionally, though, you’ll want to give the entire machine a deep clean. Your secret weapon? A toothbrush! Use it to sweep away dust from the motor vents and more.