Winning Cream of Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted, or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups chopped leftover cooked mixed vegetables (such as broccoli, carrots and cauliflower)
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour; stir until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the milk, cream, basil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add the vegetables; cook gently until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Winning Cream of Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
Easy quick and delicious!!!!!!
This is absolutely fabulous! I saved up extra cooked veggies throughout the week in the freezer and just tossed them in. I also added some cubed cooked chicken, but it would be awesome even without it!
Tried this recipe tonight. It was delicious! One substitute though, I thought I was opening a 32 oz box of chicken broth, but it turned out to be beef broth instead. It still turned out delicious. My vegetables were not precooked, I used a 12oz bag of Eat Smart broccoli and cauliflower which I sliced up into smaller pieces, plus added two whole carrots, sliced. I had to cook my soup longer in order for the vegetables to soften up, stir occasionally if done this way and cook on low, or precook in broth, before adding the milk, cream and seasonings.