- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Yellow food coloring
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, red shoestring licorice and candy corn
- Prepare cake batter mix according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, tint frosting yellow. Frost cupcakes. Press two chocolate chips into each cupcake for eyes. For mouths, cut licorice into 1-in. pieces; bend slightly to curve. Press one licorice piece into each cupcake. Add candy corn around edges of cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Sunshine Cupcakes
"ADORABLE!!!!! SUPER SIMPLE!!!!!"
"These were perfect for a beach theme party! I did not need to tint the frosting, used a 'spring time' yellow canned frosting. I did keep the 'spokes' of the sunshine points as far on the cupcakes as possible to prevent the candy corn from being knocked off during handling. As a Taste of Home volunteer food editor I love recipes that have a creative touch for themed parties."
"Easy and adorable!!"
"i made this as a fun side dessert for Thanksgiving. While cute and easy to make, the candy corn seemed to melt or break off ? not sure what happened. It was mostly the candy corns like in the picture, and i also had some of the "autumn" colored candy corns, they didn't do this for some reason. very strange. But the cupcakes were good and they were a fun dessert."
"Fun to make"
"so easy to make and kids and adults love them"
"Simple to make and fun to eat! These added just the right touch to my daughter's rainbow-themed birthday party!"
"I have not made these yet but I think they are adorable. I also think you could put a chocolate kiss in the middle and call it a sunflower. Love it!"