- 1 carton (32 ounces) plus 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn; cook 10 minutes longer. Top each serving with tortilla chips; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
Sort By :
"I love this recipe, I use shredded rotisserie chicken, replace the chicken broth with Swanson's Mexican Tortilla broth and change one can of tomatoes to mild Rotel tomatoes. Top with some tortilla strips (i like fresh gourmet tortilla strips, found with the croutons) and cheese, it's fast and delicious!"
"I love this recipe, I use shredded rotisserie chicken and replace the broth with Swanson's Mexican Tortilla broth, top with tortilla strips ( I like Fresh Gourmet tortilla strips - found with the croutons in the produce dept.) and cheese. It's fast and delicious!"
"To those who think it "bland" or "sort of flavorless," please remember that even though servings still have 873 mg sodium, this is a recipe made with reduced-sodium broth and without the addition of salt as a line item ingredient. It relies on the sodium in the canned items. I think the recipe is quite savory and agree with a previous poster that it allows the flavors of the ingredients to come through."
"Not the best Chicken Tortilla Soup I've had. It was sort of flavorless. There are much better recipes that I have found. I will use one of those next time."
"I must say I was disappointed, not much flavor, kinda bland.Won't make it again."