Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 carton (32 ounces) plus 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn; cook 10 minutes longer. Top each serving with tortilla chips; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup(23)
Sort By :
Not the best Chicken Tortilla Soup I've had. It was sort of flavorless. There are much better recipes that I have found. I will use one of those next time.
I must say I was disappointed, not much flavor, kinda bland.Won't make it again.
I used chicken Italian sausage cooked before adding and can of black beans. This soup is delicious.
Really great soup. I sauteed the onion and garlic in olive oil, then added the spices and chicken. After that I added the remaining ingredients, except the black beans I subbed for the corn. I added the beans at the end of the cook time and cooked 10 minutes longer. I'll make this soup often and share the recipe. One more thing. Please don't review a recipe before trying it first.
A great soup! I left out the chili powder because my husband doesn't care for it and I found it was really good without it. This was tasty and very comforting on one of the first wintry nights of the season. Easy to make, too! I did use our own home-canned tomatoes (one quart in lieu of the two types of canned called for) and used our own frozen corn.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Chicken Tortilla Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >