- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Simple Tomato Soup
Sort By :
"I used plain diced tomatoes, and italian seasoning mix and fresh basil, and then tossed in approximately 9oz of cooked cheese ravioli! Never would I have imagined how easy it is to make homemade tomato soup!"
"Is the amount of sodium correct for this recipe? Seems waaaaay out of line."
"This was a good base soup recipe. I did thicken mine up a bit more and added freshly ground black pepper and fresh chopped basil. I also made parmesan crisps to float on top. The second time I made this I added some roasted red peppers. This took it to the next level. Delicious!!!!!"
"Super easy and very good flavor. I didn't read the reviews beforehand, but I agree that it is too thin. Next time I make it I will take steps to thicken it up a bit."
"I love this soup! I use organic tomatoes and organic vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, it turns out SO yummy."