- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Simple Tomato Soup
"Is the amount of sodium correct for this recipe? Seems waaaaay out of line."
"This was a good base soup recipe. I did thicken mine up a bit more and added freshly ground black pepper and fresh chopped basil. I also made parmesan crisps to float on top. The second time I made this I added some roasted red peppers. This took it to the next level. Delicious!!!!!"
"Super easy and very good flavor. I didn't read the reviews beforehand, but I agree that it is too thin. Next time I make it I will take steps to thicken it up a bit."
"I halved the recipe to make four servings just for me. It was excellent and I'll be making it again. Lots of possible variations depending how spicy one likes it. I tossed in some extra dried basil and oregano and a shake of freshly ground pepper. Using yellow onion was fine. Very tasty."
"This was super easy and delicious! I added 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoon oregano to give it a little extra flavor. I will be making this again!"
"i didnt like this one"