- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Simple Tomato Soup
Sort By :
"Is the amount of sodium correct for this recipe? Seems waaaaay out of line."
"This was a good base soup recipe. I did thicken mine up a bit more and added freshly ground black pepper and fresh chopped basil. I also made parmesan crisps to float on top. The second time I made this I added some roasted red peppers. This took it to the next level. Delicious!!!!!"
"Super easy and very good flavor. I didn't read the reviews beforehand, but I agree that it is too thin. Next time I make it I will take steps to thicken it up a bit."
"I love this soup! I use organic tomatoes and organic vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, it turns out SO yummy."
"I halved the recipe to make four servings just for me. It was excellent and I'll be making it again. Lots of possible variations depending how spicy one likes it. I tossed in some extra dried basil and oregano and a shake of freshly ground pepper. Using yellow onion was fine. Very tasty."