- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes on medium speed or until lemon-colored. Gradually add the sugar, persimmon pulp and lemon juice; beat for 3 minutes. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg; add to egg mixture and beat well.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan; sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- Unroll cake and spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Persimmon Nut Roll in Birds & Blooms October/November 1998, p55
Reviews for Persimmon Nut Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 24, 2009
"This cake roll is moist, flavorfull, easy and delicious!!! I will be making this again and again.One word....this recipe needs very ripe Hichiya persimmons...not the Fuyu's. For those who are new to persimmons, the Hichaya looks like orange hearts while the Fuyu looks like a little squashed apple which is often what you will find in your local grocery store.Anyway, this recipe is totally awesome :)"
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2009
"This is really easy, my husband loved it, my first jelly roll cake attempt and it came out great!"