In Coon Rapids, Minnesota, Clara Bakke adds a special ingredient to these sweet and fudgy brownies. A layer of mint patties provides the rich, refreshing surprise.
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) chocolate-covered peppermint patties
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread about two-thirds of the batter in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Arrange peppermint patties over top. Carefully spread remaining batter over patties. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (top will appear uneven). Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 to 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Patty Brownies in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p55
Reviews for Peppermint Patty Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review