- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Yellow, green or red colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Let dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and peel; spread over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Shortbreads
Sort By :
"Made these for my family reunion. My older sister said " never again " cause she kept eating them! Took a little bit extra time to bake but worth the effort. Very Lemony and quite good. Cut them into almost a 2 bite size. Excellent."
"But I couldn't roll it out so I formed a log, chilled very well, then sliced 1/4 inch then baked."
"Baking time was off by about ten minutes. Love the lemony flavor, texture was just right!"
"I made these according to the recipe, and though they did take a few minutes longer to bake, once they were done, the consistency and flavor was great! I made them small--I used bite-size Christmas cookie cutters in various shapes--and it was hard not to just pop them in my mouth as I went along! These are sure to be a hit!"
"I think perhaps that the time stated for baking is a bit short. It took my 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch scalloped rectangles 15-20 minutes to bake to a finished consistency."