Lemon Shortbreads Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Yellow, green or red colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Let dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and peel; spread over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Shortbreads
Sort By :
Made these for my family reunion. My older sister said " never again " cause she kept eating them! Took a little bit extra time to bake but worth the effort. Very Lemony and quite good. Cut them into almost a 2 bite size. Excellent.
But I couldn't roll it out so I formed a log, chilled very well, then sliced 1/4 inch then baked.
Baking time was off by about ten minutes. Love the lemony flavor, texture was just right!
I made these according to the recipe, and though they did take a few minutes longer to bake, once they were done, the consistency and flavor was great! I made them small--I used bite-size Christmas cookie cutters in various shapes--and it was hard not to just pop them in my mouth as I went along! These are sure to be a hit!
I think perhaps that the time stated for baking is a bit short. It took my 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch scalloped rectangles 15-20 minutes to bake to a finished consistency.