Crisp Lemon Shortbread
Fresh juice and zest pair up to give my buttery cookies a lemony pop. Sprinkle sugar on top for extra sparkle. —Marcia Whitney, Gainesville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and lemon zest until blended. Beat in lemon juice. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 5x3-1/2-in. rectangle. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Cut each rectangle into six squares, but do not separate. Prick tops with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pans 10 minutes. Transfer shortbread to a cutting board; recut into squares. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 91 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread in Taste of Home April/May 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.