Crisp Lemon Shortbread
Fresh juice and zest pair up to give my buttery cookies a lemony pop. Sprinkle sugar on top for extra sparkle. —Marcia Whitney, Gainesville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and lemon zest until blended. Beat in lemon juice. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 5x3-1/2-in. rectangle. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Cut each rectangle into six squares, but do not separate. Prick tops with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pans 10 minutes. Transfer shortbread to a cutting board; recut into squares. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 91 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread in Taste of Home April/May 2015