Home-Style Stew Recipe
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen vegetables for stew
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- Place vegetables in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Home-Style Stew(24)
Sort By :
For those who don't care for the addition of tomato soup, try using 2 cans of Golden Mushroom soup. If you are concerned about sodium, use the reduced sodium version of both the canned soup and dry soup mix. I am watching my carb intake, so I used cubed turnips instead of potatoes - no one knew the difference! If you decide to use turnips, don't put them in at the beginning or they will turn mushy. This is also better with fresh veggies. To keep it simple I buy them pre-cut and packaged at the supermarket. I found that a splash of good balsamic and Worcestershire brought it to a new level. My Mom would always add a tablespoon of ketchup to her beef stews and soups. I use Heinz balsamic ketchup when I don't have Worcestershire or balsamic vinegar on hand. Delicious!
Made this according to the instructions given. After several hours in the slow cooker the soup mixture just sat on top of the rest. Finally I stirred it together. I wasn't impressed with the tomato soup taste in it. I think if you just used 2 cans of mushroom soup it would be much better.
This is a keeper. My crockpot cooked it faster than needed so vegetables were a little mushy . Will either start later or lower temp a bit,. Very easy - lots of flavor. Served with a French bread and a lettuce salad.
Found this recipe a few years ago & made it a few times and everyone LOVED it. I made this stew for my boyfriend to take to his hunting cabin with a group of guys and they couldn't get enough of it. He brought me back a "clean" slow cooker....it still needed washed but they did everything except stick their heads in it & lick the sides.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Main Dish Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Stew Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >