Holiday Gumdrop Cookies Recipe
MAKING these cookies, I feel I'm keeping my mother's Christmas spirit alive. They were her special treat each year at holiday time. These cookies are great for keeping children busy - they can cut up the gumdrops and eat all the black ones (they turn the dough gray). -Letah Chilston, Riverton, Wyoming
- 1-1/2 cups spice gumdrops
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut gumdrops into small pieces, reserving black ones for another use. Place gumdrops in a bowl. Add walnuts, raisins and 1/4 cup flour; toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a bowl, cream brown sugar and shortening. Add egg; beat in buttermilk. Combine baking soda, salt and remaining flour; stir into creamed mixture. Add gumdrop mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Gumdrop Cookies in Reminisce November/December 1995, p47
Reviews for Holiday Gumdrop Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review