- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Soup
"Very good! I left out the cabbage and instead of 4 cups of water, I used 1 can of Campbell's chicken broth and added the remaining water to equal 4 cups. Also omitted the chicken bouillon granules."
"Made this today and it was great. I like barley in soup so I added 1/2 cup (not the instant) and used chicken broth instead of water. Omitted marjoram and cabbage and added two cut up potatoes."
"I used regular tomato juice, omitted the marjoram and thyme and put one cup dry pasta in place of the cabbage and the pasta cooked right in the soup. Delicious!"
"My family loved this soup!!! I usually double it to feed 6 of us and its never enough."
"Delicious added some roast chicken."