- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
"Excellent and easy to make. Great way to get kids to eat their veggies."
"Lots of flavor - will make again."
"I made this using Brussels sprouts cut in half because I didn't have any cabbage on hand. I threw in a couple diced tomatoes, seeds, skins and all. It was delicious, we will definitely have this again!!!"
"Great way to use fresh veggies"