Halloween Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 package fudge marble cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 12 to 15 candy pumpkins
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water. With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 2 in. apart. Slowly pour gelatin over cake. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread over cake; top with candy pumpkins. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Halloween Poke Cake
Sort By :
"This cake is great for any occasion. While I hadn't thought about blending the orange Jello & chocolate, it's very tasty. Love this recipe!"
"I made this with a couple of twists that I wanted to share. We really liked it, but then anything using orange & chocolate together, mades me happy. I also just used a white cake and added cocoa to half of it, which worked just fine. But in looking at the finished cake, it didn't make any sense as to how the orange jello (I used the no sugar kind-worked just fine) would get thru the chocolate and vanilla and end up on the bottom. SO, I let it cool, turned it out, upside down on a cookie sheet, poked holes with a straw and poured my jello mixture over it, and after it had set a bit, I turned it back into the cake pan that I had baked it in. If you do this, be sure and really oil the bottom of the pan, as mine stuck just a little. I just used a can or prepared frosting since I had some, and it was great. (I can't leave anything alone!) Mine wasn't dry at all. Thanks for this recipe. I will certainly make it again."
"I make poke cake often, changing the flavors like chocolate cake with cherry gelatin, lemon cake with strawberry gelatin. The family loves them all.I can't wait to try this one..."
"It looks like there is a yellow layer in the picture--where does it come from?????"
"I love chocolate and orange together! This cake is one that I have made for years at Halloween. My family loves it too."