Try topping your favorite cake with this creamy cooked frosting from our Test Kitchen. A pink tint and a hint of cherry flavor make it extra special.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cherry juice and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160° on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extracts. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Fluffy Cherry Frosting in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p51
Reviews for Fluffy Cherry Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2011
"Mixed review here. The consistency of this frosting is wonderful! The cherry part of it made it taste like cough syrup so hubby won't eat it. I like it and it's gorgeous too!Very easy to make but will try this with lemon next time."