Try topping your favorite cake with this creamy cooked frosting from our Test Kitchen. A pink tint and a hint of cherry flavor make it extra special.
Recommended: 41 Ways to Love Jell-O (Because We Know You Do)
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cherry juice and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160° on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extracts. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Fluffy Cherry Frosting in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p51
Reviews forFluffy Cherry Frosting
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2011
"Mixed review here. The consistency of this frosting is wonderful! The cherry part of it made it taste like cough syrup so hubby won't eat it. I like it and it's gorgeous too!Very easy to make but will try this with lemon next time."