Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 12 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in the crackers, pecans and vanilla.
- Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Slice half of the strawberries; set aside. In a bowl, mash the remaining strawberries; drain juice, reserving 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate until partially set.
- Fold the sliced and mashed strawberries and whipped topping into marshmallow mixture. Add food coloring if desired. Spoon into meringue shell. Garnish with the reserved strawberry. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 281 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
May 5, 2013
This recipe was in Farm Wife News when it first started. I made it to take to a FFA banquet and it was gone in a matter of minutes. My husband & kids love it and are not even wild about strawberries. Love the crust. I put it in a cake pan though since the crust expands so and fills up a pie pan.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.