Easter Egg Bread Recipe
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 3 to 6 hard-cooked eggs
- Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cardamom and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add 3 eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Dye hard-cooked eggs; lightly rub with oil. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a 24-in. rope.
- Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Gently separate braided ropes and tuck dyed eggs into openings. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Beat water and remaining egg; gently brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 28-32 or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Easter Egg Bread(8)
Sort By :
Thank you TCosteniuc, I really appreciate your quick response. I am making my bread right now so I hope it comes out good.
I just felt that the directions were a little unclear when it says to 'Dye hard-cooked eggs; lightly rub with oil.' because it didn't make sense to put oil on the shell and because I've never baked a hard-cooked egg with or without the shell.
So once again, thank you and Happy Easter.
For QueenBea...yes the eggs are hard cooked with shells on and are baked right along with the bread. You're adding them before you let it rise the second time and then the whole thing goes in the oven. Good luck.
Just made this today. First time making any kind of bread, instructions were straight forward enough but my dough was a little stickier than I expected. Can't wait to try it tomorrow, it smells SO good. Thanks for the recipe!
I am only giving a 3 star because the directions are not very clear. I hope someone can clear things up for me before Easter tomorrow 3/31/13
The directions say to dye the eggs hard-cooked eggs but are they shelled or not.
Also, it's not clear if you actually cook the bread with the hard-cooked eggs in the bread.
I need help with this ASAP someone. Thanks
Fantastic bread! I just made it but with a tweak. I was short on white flour so I did 3 cups white 3 cups wheat flour--the rest of the recipe the same. The bread turned out just wonderful! We whipped up a sweet/cinnamon butter to go with our fresh from the oven warm wheat Easter Egg Bread ((drool)) the two were meant for each other!! If you have wheat flour don't be afraid to try it :) Sweet Butter: 1 stick salted butter room temp and whipped, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, couple dashes cinnamon. Mix and spread on wheat egg bread. You'll LOVE it!! Thanks for this recipe we'll keep it forever!