- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; stir in potato mixture.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm. Yield: 3 to 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Drop Doughnuts
"This recipe for small crunchy donuts was just what I was looking for I served them with lemon sauce. If they had been more flavorful they would not have worked with the lemon sauce. Very good thanks for sharing."
"These were surprisingly good. Made them in the evening and had the leftovers for breakfast. I did add cinnamon and nutmeg, as suggested by donnajewett for a little more flavor and they were great!"
"quick, easy and great tasting - I will add a little salt next time though"
"I gone to try to instead or vanilla use Bacon and roll in chopped pecans"
"These are very good and easy to make. I wonder if they could be made with rice flour, as I have a Celiac person in the family."