- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, milk, coffee, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add enough milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Coffee-Chocolate Cake
Sort By :
"While I have not tried this frosting, the recipe for the cake is the same as tasteofhome.com/recipes/moist-chocolate-cake The recipe has never failed to produce a light, moist, chocolatey cake. If buttercream is too rich, try the other recipe which has a cooked flour/milk icing that is lovely."
"While I have not used this frosting, the cake recipe is the same as another moist chocolate cake recipe on this site. It is the best recipe and I have never ever had any dryness. I saw this in the magazine in 1993 and have impressed people with it many times. I love the fact that it is from scratch. Great if I don't have a box mix handy!"
"suprisingly wonderful! If you like a light and not overly sweet cake, this is it! I had my doubts on the frosting, but it turned out perfect!"
"Finally! A recipe thats better than a box mix. Wonderfully chocolatey and moist. I made it with a peanut butter mousse filling."
"Just fantasic!!! very moist and easy to make."