- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup toasted sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut and pecans.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough cream to reach spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with pecans and, if desired, coconut. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Italian Cream Cake
"This cake is absolutely delicious!!"
"This cake is awesome, so moist with the best frosting I've ever eaten. A family favorite for sure!"
"delicious! I had a lot of extra frosting but, even my 8 year old son said, "AWESOME MOM! "."
"I made this for a friend's birthday and it was wonderful. The cake was beautiful to boot. I did not put pecans in the batter, but put them on top for extra beauty. I was going to bring a piece home, but my friend's husband got to it first. This makes a wonderful celebration cake. Very moist and easy to make."
"Loves this cake, made it for my family, never had one like it. They raved about it all day."
"This cake is delicious. It was devoured by my friends. I couldn't get three layers out of it, only two. I added about a cup of desiccated coconut to the frosting."
"Always think to make it first and have it sampled before I post my reviews. I made this yesterday for my husband to take to work to share with his co workers. I of course had my piece before it left the house. Yum. He has emailed me and told me the cake was a big hit."