Coconut Cream Dream Cake Recipe
This pretty four-layer cake is easy to make with an instant pudding filling and 7-minute frosting. "It tastes like coconut cream pie, so it's like getting the best of two desserts in one," writes Pamela Shank of Parkersburg, West Virginia. TIP: Prepare the remaining pudding according to package directions for a quick and easy dessert.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 6 tablespoons flaked coconut, divided
- In a small bowl, cream the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and yolk. Add vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup, egg white and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Finely chop 1/4 cup coconut; fold into pudding mix.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread a third of the pudding over one cake layer; repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake. Frost top and sides. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Cream Dream Cake in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007, p31
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Coconut Cream Dream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 17, 2008
Didn't make my favorite list. sc