- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon
- 3-1/2 pounds potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced (about 7 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon. In a large bowl, toss bacon with potatoes and onion; set aside. In the drippings, combine flour and sugar. Combine water, vinegar, salt and pepper; stir into skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cream. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forClassic German Potato Salad
"I did reduced the amount of sugar by half as I prefer a more savory potato salad, but my family enjoyed it very much."
"This is my favorite German Potatoe salad recipe. The cooked dressing is also great on cooked cabbage. I use the salt and sugar accoring to my taste. A little more salt and sugar till I get it the way I want it. A keeper recipe"
"The recipe is missing a part. When the drippings are reserved, the onion is sauted in them & then combined in a large bowl with the bacon & potatoes."