Cinnamon Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 medium baking apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-hot candies or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional half-and-half cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in water until dough forms a ball. Roll out on a floured surface to a 14-in. x 7-in. rectangle; cut pastry in half.
- Peel and core apples; place one on each square of pastry. Combine sugar and cinnamon; spoon into apples. Moisten edges of pastry with water and gather around apples; pinch seams to seal.
- Place dumplings in an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan or a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Brush with cream.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, red-hots, cornstarch, water and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently; boil for 2 minutes. Pour between dumplings.
- Bake at 400° for 35-45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Cinnamon Apple Dumplings
Sort By :
"After baking, pour the sauce on top of the dumplings and presto! Apple pie. This was phenomenal, everyone should try this recipe."
"Oh my! These were so delicious I made them two days in a row. I substituted 1/4tsp. cinnamon and 1/4tsp. nutmeg for the redhots since I didn't have any on hand. This is definitely a keeper!!!"