- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 medium baking apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Red Hots or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional half-and-half cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in water until dough forms a ball. Roll out on a floured surface to a 14x7-in. rectangle; cut pastry in half.
- Peel and core apples; place one on each square of pastry. Combine sugar and cinnamon; spoon into apples. Moisten edges of pastry with water and gather around apples; pinch seams to seal.
- Place dumplings in an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan or a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Brush with cream.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, Red Hots, cornstarch, water and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently; boil for 2 minutes. Pour between dumplings.
- Bake at 400° for 35-45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm, with cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Cinnamon Apple Dumplings
"These are everything an apple dumpling should be. Light, flaky pastry, flavorful apple filling and the sauce. The red hot candies are the perfect addition. They add such a beautiful color and flavor. These are rich and decadent."
"After baking, pour the sauce on top of the dumplings and presto! Apple pie. This was phenomenal, everyone should try this recipe."
"Oh my! These were so delicious I made them two days in a row. I substituted 1/4tsp. cinnamon and 1/4tsp. nutmeg for the redhots since I didn't have any on hand. This is definitely a keeper!!!"