Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peeled apple, optional
- In a large skillet, heat the butter, brown sugar and water to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine the dumpling ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering sauce. Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid. If desired, serve warm with cream or ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 336 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 30, 2019
Yuck! I couldn't be more disappointed...these were awful! I can usually eat anything and I'm open to new tastes, but this...? Never again. The dumplings were light and spongy in texture, and the sauce was way too sweet. For the love of God, don't let the sauce cool off even just a bit...it gets gelatinous, sticky and downright rubbery. But the taste is just...off/awful. This reminds me of the desserts often found at large (cheap) all-you-can-eat buffets. I repeat...yuck!
Nov 1, 2014
I was worried how this would turn out but it was fantastic! I love caramel and apples and combo was great. I served it with vanilla bean ice cream. Yum!
Sep 29, 2012
Very quick and easy! and SOOOO Tasty. I served this at a dinner party and it was a big hit! Who knew you could make dumplings in a caramel sauce.