- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) fat-free cherry yogurt, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, egg whites and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in 3/4 cup yogurt.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place remaining yogurt in a small bowl; fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Black Cherry Cake
"I love this cake! It works with any fruit yogurt and for added flavor I add frozen fruit to the batter. I have to I don't use fat free anything. Real whipped cream regular yogurt the whole nine yards. And because a never have cake mix on hand, I looked up the dry ingredients in a cake recipe and made sure to add the vanilla too. It works out awesome!"
"I have made this cake twice and this last time I wanted more of a cherry taste so in place of the water I added dark cherry soda and oh my what a pretty pink I got and more of a cherry taste love this cake."
"I've made this cake several times using the black cherry yogurt; last night I tried it with peach yogurt, and it was also a hit with the family. I used low-fat yogurt, as that is all that the grocery store had in stock, and regular frozen whipped topping. I plan on trying this with other yogurt flavors as well."
"Thanks to the previous suggestion, I used (3) 6 oz containers of black cherry yougurt, and added 1-1/2 containers to the cake mix and 1-1/2 containers to the frosting. The black cherry flavor was delicious! I received compliments from many on this yummy cake. -Lori in WI."
"This is one of the best summer dessert I have ever made, and so easy. For the person who said that the frosting did not turn out pink, I use 3 black cherry yogurts. I put 1 1/2 in cake batter and 1 1/2 in the cool whip. It adds a little more color and more of the black cherry flavor."
"LOVE THIS CAKE!!!!!"
"Very simple and loved how moist it was. Dissapointed the flavor of the yogurt didn't come out more but perhaps it's because I had to use plain cherry yogurt, not black cherry. I will definitely try this with other yogurts. Thinking the key lime might be fun for st. patricks day, or cinco de mayo, or for any summer party."
"Made this for a birthday at work. Two people asked for the recipe. I used regular cherry yogurt as my grocery store doesn't carry black cherry."
"I've made this cake several times and have used different flavors of yogurt. It's amazing in any flavor."
"I have also used different yogurt flavors, but the Black Cherry is the best that I have tried."