Bird's Nest Pie Recipe
When we were kids, our favorite dessert at Grandma's house was Bird's Nest Pie. Maybe we were fascinated by the name of the treat, but that can't be the only reason we liked it—there were never any leftovers! This family recipe was handed down from my great-grandmother.
- 4 to 5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Divide apples evenly between two greased 9-in. pie plates; set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, buttermilk and egg; mix well. Divide batter and pour over apples. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until pies are lightly browned and test done. Invert onto serving plates (so apples are on the top). Combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over apples. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Bird's Nest Pie in Reminisce March/April 1993, p49
Reviews for Bird's Nest Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 24, 2010
"Just an OK dessert. I a little too bready. Not awful but definitly not a memory maker."