Apple Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute apples and onion in butter for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in broth. Stir in the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Pour into a bowl; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Stir in the apple juice, cream, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Apple Pumpkin Soup
Sort By :
"I was very excited to make this recipe because I really like pumpkin and apples. But unfortunately, I will not be making this one again. My family of four, 2 adults and 2 small children, did not care for this at all. I think I will try to make something with the leftovers though, maybe a quick bread or some muffins."
"Been making this for several years without the onion. I just thought it was better without it. winter squash works well in place of pumpkin."
"Great unique taste for the holidays. I have made it several times and even the kids love it!"
"This was pretty good. I like it, but I thought it was kind of thick. But I guess that's how it's supposed to be. It's a great autumn food."
"Good, but I added a dollop of sour cream and some parmesan cheese when I served it to make it great!"