Apple Cider Doughnuts Recipe
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chocolate Glaze for Doughnuts or Maple Glaze for Doughnuts, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring cider to a rapid boil; cook over high heat until cider is reduced by half, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and spices. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, melted butter and cooled cider; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, pat each portion to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 365°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Fry doughnut holes, a few at time, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels; cool slightly. If desired, dip tops of doughnuts into glaze of your choice. Yield: 1 dozen doughnuts plus doughnut holes.
Reviews for Apple Cider Doughnuts
Sort By :
I really liked these and so did the kids.
My husband loved these! I made a caramel glaze and then dipped the donut in chopped pecans and walnuts to make it kind of like a caramel apple.
We get these every year in Kansas at the cider mill. Now that I found a recipe I can make our own. Thanks for posting this one.
These were good but a bit heavy. Took quite a bit of time. I enjoyed spiced flavor but kids did not. Maple glaze worked well.
These were delicious. One bite of these light, fluffy and flavorful donuts took me back to wonderful memories. I was worried they might be a bit heavy but these were not. I love the craggy edges on a donut too and these have them. My favorite topping is a simple sugar cinnamon dusting. I will be making these again. They are delicious.