I keep busy with our baby daughter and helping my dad on his dairy farm. But when I have time-usually in the winter-I love to bake. I make these tea cakes every Christmas. I double the recipe and freeze half for later.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and extract; mix well. Add flour and baking powder (dough will be soft). Chill.
- For filling, in a small bowl, stir egg white, sugar, almonds and lemon juice. Remove a portion of the dough at a time from the refrigerator. Place 1-in. balls of dough into miniature muffin cups, pressing slightly into sides and bottom. Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling into each. Cover with quarter-sized circles of dough.
- Brush with a little milk and top with an almond. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until golden. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Tea Cakes in Country December/January 1994, p49
Reviews for Almond Tea Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review