Makeover Husband’s Dinner Delight
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1-1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Drain noodles; stir into sauce. Pour half the beef mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and green onions. Spread over beef mixture. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 343 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 737mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 11, 2018
good for a crowd, too. A lighter version of one of my husbands favotites.
May 18, 2014
I substituted greek yogurt for the sour cream, and I also used fat free cream cheese. Could that have been the problem? I thought it sounded really good, but the reality didn't pan out. My husband and I both thought the flavor was drab -- it needed seasoning of some sort. My husband found it tolerable by sprinkling Italian seasoning and salt and pepper on it. I thought it was positively nasty, and couldn't eat the leftovers. No way would I fix it again.
Jul 16, 2012
This is going to be my "go to" pasta bake recipe. Absolutley delicious!!!
Jul 4, 2012
Jun 12, 2012
This was great! I followed the directions exactly (with one exception: I subbed Greek yogurt for sour cream) and it turned out great. The hubby enjoyed it as well.