Makeover Husband’s Dinner Delight
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1-1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Drain noodles; stir into sauce. Pour half the beef mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and green onions. Spread over beef mixture. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 343 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 737mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 11, 2018
good for a crowd, too. A lighter version of one of my husbands favotites.
May 18, 2014
I substituted greek yogurt for the sour cream, and I also used fat free cream cheese. Could that have been the problem? I thought it sounded really good, but the reality didn't pan out. My husband and I both thought the flavor was drab -- it needed seasoning of some sort. My husband found it tolerable by sprinkling Italian seasoning and salt and pepper on it. I thought it was positively nasty, and couldn't eat the leftovers. No way would I fix it again.
Jul 16, 2012
This is going to be my "go to" pasta bake recipe. Absolutley delicious!!!
Jul 4, 2012
Jun 12, 2012
This was great! I followed the directions exactly (with one exception: I subbed Greek yogurt for sour cream) and it turned out great. The hubby enjoyed it as well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.